Combining stitches

October 13, 2008

I worked on a small piece to combine some of the stitches I’ve recently been working with.

The rosette stitch is perhaps most clearly seen in lime green thread. As I was working with that line on the left, I wished I could do the stitch itself vertically and not just the line. I can slant the stitch around the curve. And I did that over on the right hand side in the fourth column of stitches. Taking the stitch vertically seemed to make it too unstable with the long loop around to the next stitch. Anchoring the stitch at the bottom to stabilize it, the woven look at the top is lost and the stitch becomes a detached twisted chain or a twisted fly stitch. See the green stitching in the photo below.

In the next photo it is easy to observe the difference between the two stitches as they go around the curve. The rosette stitch is in blue green going to a purple and the detached twisted chain or twisted fly stitch in the green just to the right of the rosette stitch.  

So often I explore stitches in isolation because I’m focused in on learning about a particular stitch. But I’ve enjoyed working on this piece and evaluating the textures and capabilities of a few stitches in close proximity to each other. I notice similarities and differences between stitches that I didn’t observe while working with them separately. And as in this case another stitch pops into mind as a compromise solution to a problem. 

With the limited time I had over the summer and now, although to a lesser extent, I’ve not been working on many projects. This small piece has shown me all over again how vital it is for me to be working in both ways so that what I learn about a stitch becomes more well rounded.

Well, I’m off to see if I can make a detached rosette stitch that holds together.

Next scheduled post: Wednesday (us, west coast)

Advertisements

Rosette stitch: day 2

September 22, 2008

I’m still enjoying the rosette chain stitch. More practice has been increasing my liberty with this stitch. But there is no getting around some of the limitations inherent in the stitch. But now I see some areas that I could get more done in if I would press it.

As I was out and scouting around I found two links I wanted to share.

History and importance of rosette stitch in Portuguese embroidery (text only/general photo).

Use of rosette stitch in various embroideriesin an pdf hosted by Sarah Bradberry at her website Embroidery and Sewing (of special note page 11).

And while I was looking in on other various other interests I came across these two blogs. If you aren’t familiar with them, please do swing by and look about.

Finyovisian is a blog has started to follow the book Finding Your Own Visual Language by Morgan, Benn and Dunnewold.  Their first posts involve cutting paper. As regular readers know I love this type of experiment and am always on the look out for more.

And Ornaments the blog of Orna Willis, I may have mentioned this blog before but I will just point to two things that have fascinated me lately. First, her post on emphasising various patterns with in one pattern by use of color. Second her 5 year Shields of Life series.

Now to turn a back toward the rosette stitch again, here are my experiments from this weekend.

An additional loop added

 

Forty five degree angles, plain and threaded

 

Various other experiments

I ran out of the outer purple thread and now I am out of photographed samples, too.

Next planned post: Wednesday (us, west coast)


Rosette stitch: day 1

September 19, 2008

I love the look of rosette stitch. It’s a member of the chain stitch family. And it is worked from right to left. If you’re not familiar with this stitch SharonB has a step by step at the link above and Mary Corbet has a video tutorial. Many thanks to Sharon and Mary for the resources they provide to the on-line needlework community!

I have been wanting to take the time to play with this stitch for some time. And a little unexpected time cropped up last evening. 

 

It is such an easy stitch but it is proving to be hard to experiment with. Exactly what I expected or feared. I got away with very little variation. The stitch fell apart when I tried to stretch the limits. So far this is the limit of my experiments.

As you can see above I was fairly cautious about angling the stitch until I tried a circle. It’s not passing muster yet. With more practice perhaps it will get there. This might be a nice stitch to take “off grid”.

Next planned post: Monday (us, west coast).