TIF and other things

March 2, 2008

I’ve been holding off with this post trying to figure out if I should bow out of SharonB‘s TIF. That may be needless concern since I’m not sure but what I have already disqualified myself. After all it is March 1 and I’m still stitching both January and February.  The months ahead look very chaotic work-wise. But if I quit I won’t take an area of stitching further. And it’s the very area I want to take further. I’ve decide to keep pressing on officially or unoffically.

For February I started working on a piece to show memory of the transition from phones that had corded handsets and plugged into walls of a room to cell phones in every pocket. And this took an interesting turn when I started looking at the difference between telephone poles dotting the landscape to cell phone towers springing up everywhere. I’ve learned probably more about them both than I needed to know. I take everything with a little grain salt when I find it on the web. They say they are making fake trees to hide cell phone towers. And in my home state of Vermont there are reports that they plan to hanging relays to telephone poles in order not to mare the landscape.  

As for March’s TIFC, I’m not sure what to do yet but it sparked a hazy memory of a poem to the effect that for the want (lack) of a nail the kingdom was lost.

My doodle to day shows another new stitch I’m practicing on.

m2b.png

The rest are the Mountmellick stitch with variations–still very school girl mode. This stitch reminds me so much of the Indian Edging stitch. I have so much fun exploring the stitches sometimes I dream of tracing their history through the centuries.

m2c.png

 m2d.png 

m2e.png


Mountmellick stitch: Day 1

February 29, 2008

The Mountmellick stitch is the new-to-me stitch that I’m all excited about. I didn’t find a step-by-step in a quick search of the web. I’m still not able to access Needlecrafter’s so perhaps it is available there, for any of you who are able to use that site. I’m still hopeful that this is a temporary situation or that only my browser is at fault.

To start this stitch make a small diagonal stitch “a-b” and then bring the needle up at “c”. Then as shown below, slide the needle under the stitch “a-b”.

m1a.png

Now pull the thread though until its snug against the diagonal stitch “a=b” but not distorting it. (I have to say my sample here looks like it is distorted but I think it’s because I’m using the scanner and laying this against the glass that has caused the distortion seen here.)

Now reinsert the needle as pictured below to make a vertical stitch “a-c”. 

m1b.png

Now this next picture shows starting the second stitch. Everything is done as in the first stitch. But because there is a little trick to the final part I’ve decided to show this second stitch through to that point. 

m1c.png

m1d.png

Below is the tricky part and it was hard for me to get a good shot at this. To make this vertical stitch go back to “c” and reinsert the needle inside the loop made as you went up to make the last vertical stitch at “a-c”. This means the needle will be inserted between that loop and the little loop over the slanted stitch at “a-b”. This is easy to see, I think when actually doing it yourself. Once this is done now move on to complete the second stitch as shown in the second photograph for the first stitch.

m1e.png

A very plain sample.

m1g.png

Below is an “off grid” doodle using some of the recent stitches I’ve been working with including the Mountmellick stitch. In this piece I’ve used it in two over lapping, horizontal curved lines below the top area of purple and light blue threads.

m1i.png