April 2, 2007
On this week’s stitch I noticed that I avoided my weak area–circles and curves. Instead of strengthening that area by practice I was letting it go. Therefore, I’m posting some of my struggles to get into that area this weekend. And I had to do something I hate to do–draw lines. I just could not eyeball it. The only good thing so far is that I have a design in mind. I know how it should go, I just can’t make it go yet.
Now, back to my trials on what it looks like when making a variation to parts of the stitch itself. The first column shows variations on the middle section. The second column, variations on the top and bottom portion of the stitch and then portioned increases to all areas of the stitch.
March 31, 2007
The first quarter of 2007 is completed today. This coming week we will begin the second quarter of Sharon b’s TSTC! If you haven’t joined in please do think about giving it a try. There is still so much ahead to learn and explore.
My explorations this week have been both “off” and “on grid” work. The basic structures that make the “off grid” piece are all knotted Cretan stitches. But I covered a lot of it up once I got working on it. I’m feeling a little disappointed about not having that stitch shine through more. But it’s not finished yet!
As you see I here, I’m still working on the idea of multiple knots. I rounded these more by pulling the knots tighter. The height of the stitch is not more than about 5 threads, so that has a big impact, too. I love the texture. I probably should have turned it 90 degrees. I can see the basic outline of some little growing plant. I still like the earlier ones better, however.
The first line on the next photo is an overlap of two lines above.
And the last three lines show my test on the difference spreading the stitch makes. I think now I should test the height. And then both together? I should never run out of variables to test, if I would as my mom says, put on a thinking cap. Whatever that means, I’m sure it would help.
March 30, 2007
I’m finished with this particular “off grid” piece. I learned a lot this time. Primarily, I noticed one of my fatal flaws in doing “off grid” work. So I’m anxious to try the avoidance of this practice in the next “off grid” piece. While not entirely pleased with this, I had a chance to try some experiments that turned out well. I expect to transfer some of these thoughts over to “on grid” work. Not everything on this piece is a knotted Cretan stitch, of course.
March 29, 2007
The “off grid” piece is not finished now. I made some progress on it, maybe one more day to go. I’ve got a clear idea in my mind where it needs to go. Getting there is the questionable part of the matter.
Here is a series of stitches where I was concerned with shape. The variations are because of the direction of the stitching. I believer the first row is L to R next row R to L and so on.. L to R, R to L, L to R.
Here are experiments with more than one knot on the second and third row. Knots are added above the stitch and then below the stitch respectively.
I like these experiments, but clearly I need some more practice to be more uniform.
March 28, 2007
I enjoyed doing some “off grid” work yesterday — a nice change of pace. Is it finished? I am not sure.
I tried a few experiments, for instance, on the light green and olive thread to the left you’ll see that I made more than one knot. On the olive thread to the right I made some very long prongs on the right side and short prongs on the left. This was a rather failed experiment because the longest prongs wouldn’t stay in place and I ended up couching them with some blue thread. I wasn’t too pleased with the ribbon experiment either. You see that I abandon it almost as soon as I started it at the lower right. The blue silk cord was fun. I couched some of it but along other portions I looped it into the Cretan knot as I made it.
“On grid” work didn’t seem to go anywhere. This is the only thing out of it that I liked and that is because of the texture.