November 12, 2008
Due to the work I was doing with the alphabet over the weekend I couldn’t leave the Cheveron and half Chevron stitch alone. Here are some of samples. For some reason I worked primarily with the 100/3 silk and so the work in last three photos has a more delicate, airy look.
This first photo deals with some ideas on borders and couching. I definitely wish I’d pulled out pima cotton threads to work with and done more couching. Perhaps time will come along to try more experiments with that soon.
My thoughts were probably drifting to borders due to the reading I’ve been doing on Laura J Perin’s blog Two-Handed Stitcher. She has done or is in the midst of an interesting series of articles about borders and their impact on the overall design. I think the series began here and then you may follow the links (2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th) or just click on the label “borders” at the end of her post and scroll up through the series. Many thanks to Laura for these excellent posts.
After these samples I became fascinated with what I was calling a flat half Chevron stitch until I realized it is more probably a detached variation of the cable stitch or chained cable stitch. That’s what I plan will be in the next post scheduled for Friday (us, west coast).
I’m diligently working on the balance issues from Friday’s post and have about 4 cut and paste version that I’m pleased with. I’m going to see if I can scan or photograph them well enough to put into a post. Many thanks for the feed back and emails on that issue. Every one has been so kind and helpful. It is hard for me to be patient and work with a design in this manner but the rewards of learning more are mounting up. That keeps me going. Please feel free to leave a comment if you have any suggestions. I’m definitely open to more experiments.
November 10, 2008
I was giving some preliminary thought to Sharon b’s November TIF in the last four or five days. In this month’s challlenge Sharon said, use typography as an inspiration for a piece.
I was debating about stitching a design using just one letter or using one letter multiple times. That make me think about doing a piece using just one stitch that resembled a letter. So many embroidery stitches naturally form letters. The straight, fly stitch arrow stitch and cross stitch are readily identifiable letters in my language.
Then I began brainstorming about other possibilities.
The Breton stitch. I’m currently leaning toward this one since I certainly need to practice it too. Oops, I just noticed the straight stitches on the lower right. Please ignore them.
The Chevron and half chevron stitch which I favored over the herringbone which could have done some similar letters.
I got carried away by these two stitches and will probably post some of the work I did with them on Wednesday (us, west coast).
Many thanks for the comments and suggestions on the balancing issues from Friday’s post. I have spent some great hours cutting and pasting based on these suggestions as well as some from emails. Many thanks to everyone who added to this. It has been a great help to me. If anyone would still like to add something please do. I’m still working if I was engaged by a fascinating puzzle.
November 7, 2008
I’ve been worked with the embroidery design from Monday’s post in the last few days. The photo below shows the current state of affairs.
I’m feeling uncertain about what is happening with the balance. In my sometimes backward way of doing things, I’m now working with the photo below and playing ‘what ifing’ or ‘second guessing’ all over again. What do you think? How could I bring better balance to this piece? Or what were the flaws from the beginning?
I like the minimal look. The blank fabric areas please me. I like the repeat of the original doodle in the upper left that can be seen in the photo above where it appears on the lower right. Once I got past that spot and stitching down the straight key lines, I couldn’t stop working but I was no longer liking it. However, there is not much to rip out if I decided to do that. And if I want to restitch in a different color scheme the stitching doesn’t take long. This is perhaps 3 or 4 inches square.
November 3, 2008
I was at loose ends in my stitching this weekend. It’s not that I didn’t have several “should” projects on the table. But I couldn’t seem to get anywhere with any of them. I got a few steps further on a couple of things that needed attention, but nothing was fun. I finally said to myself, I will make a small doodle in order to stitch something.
I didn’t have anything particular in mind. I tried playing with a couple of cross stitches. I made a little pattern with the stitches themselves until the original doodle emerged. If you’d like to follow my thought process, I have it numbered in the second photo. I suppose even the thoughts of the original doodle could be broken down in a somewhat similar manner.
I suppose this might not be relaxing or fun to others but it is just my cup of tea–very relaxing and my mind just drifts along caught up by the shapes appearing out of the stitching.
I won’t say choosing colors was relaxing. I had just picked up an over dyed thread for the original doodle without a lot of thought about anything more that a very simple doodle. To get the colors for the positive “a” shape, I resorted to pulling out the threads from a piece of scrim I had. That has left its own interesting pattern in the scrim.
I also learned a valuable lesson about using a neutral instead of a color for the small border lines or key lines. I won’t mention how long it took before I came to the conclusion that was the best possible choice and how dark it had to be. But there were multiple trials. If I’d had light outside, I would have been grabbing photos as I went through the various color auditions.