Bargello and hardanger ran together in my mind this summer as I worked on a couple of exercises from SharonB’s Studio Journal class. Here is the initial one that got me thinking. Sorry for the poor quality, I used the glue I had on hand. Not the right choice for this project.
Below are some of the results.
I drifted from the original concept that got me started. As I used a journal, things progressed and developed along the way.
And I took an element or two and pushed them a little further, just like I do with some of my stitch experiments. What I’ve committed to linen is just enough to clue my memory when I want to develop a larger project. I’m actually going to stitch this sample in my journal.
I’ve not done much hardanger as anyone may guess seeing the lack of skill on the fills. And in the last five years I can’t remember working on more than one piece. I have three or four books on bargello and have simply admired the work I’ve seen and saying to myself, “one day..”
If you’ve been thinking about Sharon’s Studio Journal class at Joggles, I believe another class is starting mid to late October. I can highly recommend this or any of Sharon’s classes. Even when so many things unexpectedly interfered with giving my full attention to it, I was still able to learn because of the way Sharon structures the class. The text is chock-full of ideas, a great reference for life.
My next post should be up Friday with some experiments on a raised stitch.