March 31, 2008
I’ve had an unexpected day to say the least. That in turn has led to some unexpected samples. I learned more things about Photoshop Elements.
I received a comment from Neki about these patterns that I’ve been working on the last few days. That led to a few experiments and new thoughts in approaching the patterns. If I have time to experiment with the stitching in the next few days, I’ll see how well I can transition into actual stitched samples.
March 30, 2008
I’ve been working on some of the ideas from a few posts ago (1, 2, 3). This time I picked one group out of the third post and started filling in the space between the basic outlines.
Some of these ideas may strike you as unworkable unless you realize that I’m willing to work over two fiber threads or over three fiber threads as needed to accomplish a design I like. But as with many things paper theory is not much. The test is how it works when stitched.
And then I couldn’t resist filling in some of the outlines.
March 29, 2008
I think the sorbello stitch is becoming a favorite. In my experiments I’ve gone on to another stitch but I see how much the work with the sorbello stitch has influenced my trials.
And then mirrored
On the slant–denser would have been better
My favorite out of this group of samples. And I can see so much more that I could have tried with this same basic concept.
March 28, 2008
I’ve still been thinking about the work from posts earlier this week (here and here). I’ve taken the basic outline and had fun arranging them. Here are a few of them.
I love paying not only with the space inside the basic outline but the space around it. When I got to this last one I almost thought I saw birds in flight.
There is much more that could be done. I’ve got five other arrangements that I didn’t post. And naturally some of these basic groups in this post could themselves be arrange in larger groups and varied further.
March 27, 2008
I might be at day eleven on the Eskimo edging stitch. I’m really missing my old browser that showed me the previous titles as I type in the new one.
I still like this stitch and hope I’m not repeating myself with any of these doodles from yesterday. Why I am still working with it? I’m not sure. It is not the joy the queen or rice stitches are to me. But I keep doodling.
The line at the lower edge of the sample is Mountmellick with a little addition of my own making.
March 26, 2008
This is my subtraction process — a continuation of thoughts from of yesterday’s post. Completely unnecessary since I could have merely reversed yesterdays addition process. But I had a goal in mind.
Exactly the same number of stitches as what I started out with yesterday.
No, that wasn’t the goal I had in mind.
The goal I was aiming at was the removal of stitches with re-spacing of the remaining stitches within the outline. In yesterday’s post, I added stitches but for the most part the previous stitches were left in place.
There is much more I probably should say about blackwork along with some disclaimers about what I’m doing here. There are many introductions to blackwork on the web. If you are interested I hope you check some of them out.
Elizabethan Blackwork with free stitch diagrams.
Rissa points out some great links at the end of her article on the subject.
I enjoy strolling through Leon Conrad ‘s designs.
Linn Skinner is a favorites of mine who wrote a good article to read on the subject. It is available here.
March 25, 2008
This is some fun I had with my needle and thread yesterday.
I’m practicing subtracting today. I’ll post when I’m finished.