This is the work I started Monday evening with the crested chain stitch. By Tuesday morning, I had only done the bottom two rows. And you can see I still don’t have it finished. When I was uploading it for the post, it looked to me like I had a two headed monster going.
Here is another view of it, perhaps less disconcerting, but retaining a certain unfinished look nevertheless. By the way, if you have ever wonder what I mean by “off/on grid” terminology, here it is. I use “off grid” to refer to stitching on a fabric (ground) that does not have or does not have an easily countable weave and fabric thread if woven may pierced while stitching. Once in a while by extension I uses this term about stitching on a countable even-weave where I made no attempt to count although I did not pierce the fabric threads. “On grid” means I counted threads in the ground as I stitched.
Using this photo and moving left to right these are the various things I played with.
Alternating the side of the knot in the purple Perle 8 cotton. I was so delighted when I got home Tuesday night (USA) to find Annie at Annies Crazy World had been up to this, too. Her post is here. And she also experimented with alternating the height of the knot placement. They both make up very engaging seam treatments. So please do take a look if you haven’t already seen them.
Now the following explanation of the stitching experiments might not be your cup of tea, so please feel free to skip out on the rest of the post. Since I get a number of questions about how I do things, this is an attempt to make that clear.
The next thing I worked with was exaggerating the angle of the crest. Because the green thread is sandwiched between other lines and is in the darker color it’s more difficult to see but I’m placing the knot a full chain stitch’s length above the chain stitch it comes out of.
I used the white thread to couch some blue pima cotton. And used the blue thread to begin working with a curve while still exaggerating the angle of the knot. This curve is not like the one in yesterday’s post based on the whole stitch angled to curve or the placement of the knot making the curve. Here I began exaggerating the first prong of the knot and slipped the knot itself down close to the end of that stitch. Sorry, I don’t have clearer words to express this, perhaps it’s better to look at the picture. I am working with the same principle near the top of the piece in the purple Perle 5 cotton and blue silk floss. And on the blue floss I start over stitching previous layers.
At the bottom in both the purple Perle 5 cotton and the overdyed silk, I played even more with the angle of the prong. Making the knot a pivot point for an angle change.
Because of a strange work schedule today, I won’t have enough light to get any photos of the on grid work I did last evening. But needless to say these experiments “off grid” lead to more experiments on a linen ground.