The “off grid” piece is not finished now. I made some progress on it, maybe one more day to go. I’ve got a clear idea in my mind where it needs to go. Getting there is the questionable part of the matter.
Here is a series of stitches where I was concerned with shape. The variations are because of the direction of the stitching. I believer the first row is L to R next row R to L and so on.. L to R, R to L, L to R.
Here are experiments with more than one knot on the second and third row. Knots are added above the stitch and then below the stitch respectively.
I like these experiments, but clearly I need some more practice to be more uniform.