I’ve been working with the three prong up and down buttonhole idea a bit more. Thank you, if you’ve been working on trying to identify this variation. If you’ve left a comment for me or added a link to your blog about this, thank you very much. I’ll be posting any word about identification.
If by some chance you’re not familiar with Sharon b’s Take a Stitch Tuesdays Challenge, please do take a look around at what’s been going on. There are so many wonderful stitchers involved and producing great pieces each week. Every Tuesday (that Monday in the USA) Sharon writes an introduction to another stitch; and we explore it. There is a flickr account where you can see a great amount of the work all at once. And don’t hesitate to join in if you’re interested, the challenge is very flexible.
In the process of working with three prongs, I thought how easily it could go to a multi-prong. All I did was repeat the middle step using various angles with every one stitched into the middle hole, hidden under the little loop. It makes that middle portion rather like a partial eyelet stitch. The beginning and end are still the same as the up and down buttonhole stitch.
I’m still having fun with the regular up and down buttonhole and tried a fill pattern here. Between the first and second row I used a little upright cross stitch between the gaps. Then I tried to improve it by adding a woven stitches in the gaps. Not an improvement, I think!